Sunday, May 21, 2006

Steamed Prawn Wontons with Red Chilli and Spring Onion


Tonight for dinner for something different I made some prawn wontons from Jamie Oliver’s Jamie’s Kitchen. The mixture was really quick & easy to prepare unlike making the wontons which as everyone knows is fiddly & time consuming. Lucky my mum had given me one of those cheap pastry makers that you get from $2 shops or Asian grocery stores where you basically just lay your pastry down, drop in the filling then clamp it shut to seal together. A hell of a lot easier then folding & pressing by hand I must say. We tried these with sweet chilli & soy sauce but honestly the filling was so tasty you really did not want to add too much or the lovely aromatic flavour of the filling was lost.

Steamed Prawn Wontons with Red Chilli and Spring Onion

2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 small handful of fresh coriander
2 fresh red chillies, deseeded
5 spring onions
300g raw prawns, shelled
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
pre-rolled wonton wrappers (approx 30)

Finely chop the ginger, garlic, chillies, coriander & spring onions & place in a food processor with the prawns, pulse until combined. Add the soy & sesame oil & pulse again. Fill the wontons with a small teaspoon of filling, brush the edges to seal.

Put the wontons in a steamer basket on baking paper & steam for approx 7 minutes. Serve with sweet chilli or soy sauce.

6 comments:

neil said...

You are nine tenths the way to making pierogi, they can't be too far off.

Ange said...

Well now that I discovered the pastry thingo doesnt seem quite so daunting!

Anonymous said...

I have always meant to get one of those pastry crimpers.....

The dumplings look great!

Anonymous said...

Ange!

I had no idea you had a blog ... I love it!

I'm already thinking of when to make the apple/prune muffins and I love any dish with prawns.

Well done!

GS said...

Finally, I've made a recipe I'd bookmarked - I used this as the base of a spicy flathead wonton soup. Have linked you heavily to the post on my blog.

Thanks.

GS said...

Finally, I've made a recipe I'd bookmarked - I used this as the base of a spicy flathead wonton soup. Have linked you heavily to the post on my blog.

Thanks.