Monday, June 12, 2006

Zuppa di Zucca (Pumpkin Soup)


Another soup from the River Café cook book. All of this crazy cold weather we have been having has given me cravings for good hearty winter soups. This was a slight variation on the normal pumpkin soup I make & the little extras really helped to lift the flavour, it was very thick, the chilli gave it a nice zing & the handful of parmesan I threw in at the end gave it a nice creamy texture too. Also I used a 'Barbara' pumpkin which I picked up from Ceres, it was the shape of a butternut with the dark green striped skin similar to a jap & nice & orange on the inside. Another great soup from this book

Zuppa di Zucca (Pumpkin Soup)

1.5kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded & diced into 5cm cubes
150g new potatoes, peeled & cubed as above
3 tablespoons olive oil
50g butter
2 small red onions, peeled & finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled & cut into slivers
4 large sprigs fresh marjoram
1-2 dried chillies
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 litre Chicken stock

Heat the oil & butter in a large heavy based saucepan & gently fry the onion until soft. Stir in the garlic & marjoram, pumpkin & potato, & continue to cook for a minute. Season with the chilli, salt & pepper. Add enough stock to just cover the pumpkin, simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Add more stock if necessary. Puree with a hand held blender & adjust seasoning to taste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah! I agree, these Melbourne winters are perfect for soup :) I also made pumpkin soup this week - but next time I'll definetely have to try adding some dried chilli for the extra warmth, what a great idea!

Reb said...

I just love the RCC - all of them. Their recipes are just so simple and so nice! Yours looks fab.

Anonymous said...

I think i like the name more than anything... Zuppa di Zucca... which basically proves my point that everything sounds cooler in Italian. Pumpkin soup is also one of my all time favourites... So no doubt i'll be making it soon too.

Nice post :)

Matt