Sunday, June 25, 2006

Weekend Herb Blogging - Fennel, Chilli & Rosemary roast pork



I thought I would cook up a Sunday roast using some fresh rosemary from my herb shelf & finally participate in weekend herb blogging # 38 which Virginie from Absolutely Green is recapping this week. I absolutely love rosemary, it is one of my favourite herbs & it's so easy to grow that I have it handy all year round. I love it with roasts - lamb, pork & it gives the roast veggies an extra lift in flavour too, in pasta sauces, with fish, all in all a very versatile & flavoursome herb.

This recipe comes from a recent food magazine, I can’t remember which one as I rip them out for later use, sorry. I also served this with some roast potato, pumpkin & parsnip. Well the pork was scrumptious, I love fennel & the flavour of the fennel salt was really strong but not overpowering, so good that I would make the salt again & even just use as a rub on pork chops, really good.

Fennel, Chilli & Rosemary Roast Pork

1kg pork rack (8 cutlets)
Olive oil for rubbing
Sea salt for rubbing
3 teaspoons fennel seeds
3 dried chillies
3 teaspoons sea salt, extra
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
3 brown pears, halved

Preheat the oven to 220c. Pat the pork rack dry with absorbent towels. Use the point of a small, sharp knife to score the skin into thin strips & rub with oil & salt. Place the fennel, chillies, salt & rosemary in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until aromatic. Place in the bowl of a small food processor & process until combined. Rub the fennel salt over the pork rack & cut into four double cutlets. Place the cutlets on a wire rack in a metal baking dish & roast for 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 200c. Add the pears to the bottom of the baking dish & cook for a further 10-12 minutes or until the pork skin is crispy and cooked to your liking and the pears are tender. Serves 4.

8 comments:

Virginie said...

I love fennel and rosemary too, even in a simple herb-tea. Thank you for your contribution.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the rosemary thing...I hardly ever cook pork but really love it...thanks for the inspiration

Reb said...

yummo - looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I adore chilli and it makes a daily appearance in my kitchen, but had never thought to add it to a roast! And I adore the idea of roast pears for sweetness in place of apples!

Kalyn Denny said...

I think this sounds heavenly. I agree, pork and rosemary are made for each other. And welcome to WHB!

Belinda said...

Roast pears - what a great idea!

Joe said...

Great combination of flavors! I love the sound of baked pears

Anonymous said...

Well done, Ange!

That looks mouth-watering!