Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Delicious Stuffed Roti Bread


For bread week of The Cookbook Challenge I thought I would test myself and make a style of bread I had never attempted before.  I love Roti so when I saw this recipe for stuffed Roti I just knew I had to give it a go!  The bread is incredibly simple to make, no yeast, no kneading, only 20 minutes to rest.  The filling took more time than the bread can you believe, only because I was boiling really big potatoes & they took forever to cook.  Anyway once the filling was mixed & the dough rested, it was a simple task of rolling (I did in all in my hand in more of a stretching method), stuffing, sealing, flattening (again my hand) & frying for a couple of minutes each side in the pan.  I was a little worried they would fall apart as there were some holes left after stuffing them but once cooking they kept their shape really well.  One thing to note was that I had about half the stuffing left so it would be a great idea to double the dough quantity to make 8 as they really are worth it!

I served these with a simple kidney bean salad dressed with red onion, cumin, coriander & lime juice which was perfect alongside, some nice zing to go with the earthy flavours of the bread.  Yum!

Aloo gobi parathas: Roti breads stuffed with cauliflower and potato - Ben O'Donoghue - Ben's Barbecue

Roti Dough

250g plain flour
pinch salt
50ml sunflower oil

Filling

300g potatoes
200g cauliflower
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
2 teaspoons garlic paste
2 teaspoons ginger paste
75g onion, finely chopped
1/2 green chilli, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeriv
1 tespoon chilli powder
juice of 1 lime
salt
sunflower oil, for frying

To make the dough, combine the flour and salt.  Mix in the oil and add enough water to form a soft but not sticky dough.  Wrap in cling wrap and rest for 20 minutes.

Boil the potatoes in their skins in salted water until tender.  Meanwhile, in another pan, cook the cauliflower in salted water until soft.

Once the potatoes are cooked, peel and mash them.  Drain the cauliflower, then crush it and mix with the potatoes.  Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the salt and oil for frying.  When combined season with salt to taste.

To make the parathas, take a portion of the roti dough (makes 4 so take a quarter at a time) and flatten it in your hand.  Add a spoonful of the filling then roll the dough into a ball.  Using a rolling pin (or your hands), flatten the ball to around 1cm thick.

Prepare your barbecue or pan on a medium heat.  Lightly oil & cook the parathas on both sides until golden and cooked through.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey, that looks terrific! I love roti but haven't been game enough to try making it myself yet.

K said...

this sounds amazing

Gourmet Getaway said...

Wow, they look great, I love making indian dishes, I am going to try this on the weekend!

kitchen hand said...

Brilliant. Much better than paying $5 a pack at the deli.

Celeste @ Berrytravels said...

stuffed roti! It cannot get more fabulous than this!

Unknown said...

I love roti too, but never attempted it, but you've inspired me to give it a go. Love the photo too - so clear. Bet you're loving your new toy! Leigh

solid wood furniture said...

This is something nice to make for dinner! Fantastic! Thanks for the share.

Agnes said...

Gosh that looks fantastic!