Sunday, September 20, 2009

Reasons not to bake in a hurry


Saturday night & to save myself some precious gardening time on Sunday I decided to quickly bake a batch of muffins while cooking dinner & trying to clean the kitchen which was upside down from a day of neglect. I only had about an hour as Michael was leaving me with the kids to go to the footy, (boo hoo, Collingwood lost)! I also had my brother & the inlaws milling about & chatting while I was trying to concentrate.

Once I got the first tray in the oven something clicked in my head & the batter didnt taste quite right when it suddenly dawned on me there was no sugar in the batter, quick scan of the recipe & of course there was sugar which I had stupidly not noticed. So I whipped them out of the oven, scraped them out of the paper cases & back into the bowl, added sugar, tried not to over stir, then back in the oven. Too late I realised I forgot to sprinkle the raw sugar on top (half of which by now was in the muffins anyway) & was so tired I thought stuff it!

The end result was a very moist, unbrowned, no crispy top muffin which amazingly tasted good even though it was missing the lovely crunchy top of a good one.

The recipe was Bourke Street Bakery's so it must be a good one to taste so delicious even though I completely stuffed it up, next time I hope to get it right & they will be perfect

Here is the recipe as requested

Dark Chocolate & Raspberry Muffins

2 2/3 cups (400g) plain flour
2 tspn baking powder
300g caster sugar (DONT FORGET)
310g unsalted butter
480ml buttermilk
3 eggs
225g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
225g raspberries (I used frozen)
1/4 cup (55g) raw sugar
icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven to 190c, Lightly grease 2 large 6 hole (or the normal 12 hole) muffin tins & line with paper cases

Sift flour & baking powder into a bowl & add sugar, mixing well to combine.

Melt the butter in a pan over low heat, then remove from the heat & stir in the buttermilk. Using a whisk, stir in the eggs to combine. Pour over the dry ingredients & whisk to combine. Use a large spoon to gently fold through the fruit & chocolate.

Spoon into muffin cases & sprinkle with raw sugar. Reduce oven to 180c & bake for 25-30 minutes. Dust with icing sugar once cooled

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ange, I've done that!!! And, like you...it wasn't really my fault because I had people talking to me. Baking is such a solo effort for me, I totally lose myself in it and prefer to be left alone.

Could you share the recipe with me? I like the sound of the crispy top.

:: K

Ange said...

Hi K, I have added the recipe for you, GOOD LUCK & let me know how you go