Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crispy Onion Rings


As I mentioned in my last post I do like to cook 'adult' food occasionally so when I was in the mood for a nice big juicy steak the other night (actually quite a rarity for me), I made a T-bone with potato wedges & crispy onion rings from Nigella Lawson's Feast. The t-bone I didnt actually enjoy all that much in the end & the potato wedges ended up a bit soggy though were a big hit with Chloe as is anything made with potato which comes a close second to chocolate on her list of foods she can't live without.

The onion rings however were really, really good! I have never made any type of onion ring before so didnt know what to expect. In fact apart from one lot my mum made the only onion rings I have ever eaten are Hungry Jacks & haven't gone there in years. The red onions are soaked in buttermilk overnight, then coated in flour & spices & fried. Rather than deep frying in vegetable shortening as the book suggests I shallow fried in sunflower oil for a fantastic result. They were crispy on the outside & tender on the inside as well as holding together nicely.

A wicked pleasure I will try not to make too often

No comments: