Sunday, January 14, 2007

Fresh Bircher Muesli with Stone Fruit


The other morning while up at the ungodly hour of 6.30am to water the garden in my allocated time for the weekend I thought I would be very good & gets some oats soaking for my very own bircher muesli. I’ve never made theis before so didn’t know what to expect. I always opt for richer, wicked foods when making brekky and this has never tempted me before as it seems to be so bloody healthy. The recipe I used was from Bill Granger's Bills Sydney Food - for me Bill is the King of brekky at the moment. Sorry you cant actually see the museli in the photo, just too much yummy fruit on top. For those of you who have not made or tried this before let me tell you it is scrumptious & quite filling, enough to keep one satisfied for hours. Something to make again & the fruit combo’s are of course endless to keep it interesting.

Fresh Bircher Muesli with Stone Fruit

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup apple juice
1 cup coarsely grated apple
½ cup natural yoghurt
juice of 1 lemon
½ cup sliced peaches & nectarines
¼ cup mixed berries
2 tablespoons honey

Place oats and apple juice in a bowl and soak for 1 hour, or overnight. Add grated apple, yoghurt & lemon juice to oat mixture & mix well. Spoon into serving bowls & top with fruit. Drizzle with honey.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

In Switzerland, I discovered that Bircher isn't always the healthy option since cream can be substituted for the yoghurt! Yum.

I've been baking my own muesli (with fruit juice as the sweetener) on and off for a while, and I will give this a go instead. Easier to let it soak overnight than be continually checking the oven. Thanks for the recipe, Ange!

Kathryn said...

I make my own granola, making it up as I go along from a mix of Bill/Nigella/Tessa Kiros/myself and using as little fat and sugar as possible. But this bircher muesli looks unbeatable. We will have to try it. Thanks!
Kathryn