Thursday, April 09, 2009

Lunching & more baking

Well I promised more baking & here it is. Today I had Megan & Thomas over for a relaxing lunch, my first lunch invitees in the new place. For lunch I threw together some bacon, egg & feta tarts, the recipe is in the latest Delicious mag. I used South Cape Persian feta which I absolutely adore, has anyone out there tired it, I love it & could go through buckets of the stuff if it weren’t so expensive? In fact the best way to eat it, I believe is simply smothered on some fresh bread, thanks to Megan (another Megan) for introducing us! Anyway back to the tarts, really easy & I loved them, it was basically some puff pastry filled with crisp bacon, feta, an egg & topped with parmesan all baked in the oven for a short time. I served it with a roast cherry tomato, basil & rocket salad.

For desert I made a Sour Lemon Cake from the latest Donna Hay, the cake was delicious & moist though it did need patching together with the icing as it stuck to the tin, suspect this is the old crappy tin’s fault & not my favourite new oven’s. Again I made the cake with traditional bake function & baked the tarts with fan forced which seemed to do the trick, I think that fan forced just cooks too quick for cakes & you can sometimes end up with the end result being a little overcooked & dry.


A lovely way to spend a sunny autumn day & it is so cute to see the kids finally playing together a bit though there are still a lot of snatches & tears to get through yet. At least now they kiss & make up.

More baking to follow soon & I might even cook something on the stove top too!

No comments: