Sunday, October 22, 2006

Griddled Eggplant with fetta, mint & chilli

Today I’m having Michaels family over for a bbq & to start with I thought I would try out these little morsels from Nigella Lawson’s Forever Summer that I have heard so many good things about.

The recipe calls for a large bunch of fresh mint which luckily I have growing in my courtyard no thanks to me. It initially grew on it’s own & every year I cut it back as it tries to take over the garden & just keep a little patch to use for cooking. I love the fact that I can just pop out the back door to take a cutting whenever I need, and Mint is so versatile, it can be used in sweet, savoury & even drink recipes, you gotta love it. You can see in the picture how it’s growing very heartily amongst my lobelia against the back wall! So this recipe is my entry this weekend for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Pat at Up a Creek without a Patl this round.

I have to say these are absolutely yummy, I could have eaten them all if it wasn't for the fact that I had a mamoth bbq waiting for me. The strong taste of the eggplant went really well with the salty, creamy cheese & the mint & chilli just set the whole thing off, really easy to prepare too. One hint too, I was very cautious with the filling & eneded up hacing some leftover so stuff them full.

Griddled Eggplant with fetta, mint & chilli

2 large eggplants, each cut thinly. Lengthways, into about 10 slices
4 tablespoons olive oil
250g fetta cheese
1 large red chilli, finely chopped, deseeded or not, depending on how much heat you want
Large bunch fresh mint, finely chopped, with some saved for sprinkling over at the end
Juice of 1 lemon
Black pepper

Preheat the barbecue or griddle to a high heat
Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the oil, and cook them for about 2 minutes each side until golden & tender
Crumble the fetta into a bowl & stir in the chilli, mint & lemon juice and grind in some black pepper. Pile the end third of each slice with a heaped teaspoon of the mixture & roll each slice up as you go to form a soft, stuffed bundle.
Place joint side down on a plate & sprinkle with a little more mint.

Makes 20 rolls

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i love that combination of mint, feta and chilli. i've made a salad using all these ingredients so will definitely try this out, now the bbq season is upon us.

Gattina Cheung said...

I like your grilled eggplants, maybe I'd grill the feta as well. Yours is a lovely recipe!

Ruth Daniels said...

This dish sounds so wonderful, my mouth is watering and it's only 7:30is in the morning!!!

It has all my favorite things - eggplant, mint and feta, and add a little kick - PERFECTION!!!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Kalyn Denny said...

I think this sounds like a fantastic dish. The combination has so many flavors that I love. I wonder if you could cook this on one of those stovetop grill pans (if you're not on the part of the world where summer is starting, but instead, sigh, are in the part of the world where summer is ending. Saving the recipe right now!

Ange said...

Kalyn, I made mine on a stovetop grill pan & it was perfect, jsut takes a bit longer as you cant put all the eggplant on the grilla t once!

Ruth Daniels said...

I made the eggplant last night and also did it on the stove. It was even better than I thought it would be. It's now my new favorite dish to impress people!

Thanks again for sharing. BTW, I'm just writing a post about simple and simply stunning dishes and I had to mention this one.

Ruth Daniels said...

I tried the eggplant last night and it was even better than I thought it would be. What a great party dish!!

I mentioned your site and gave you all the credit for this.

Thanks again for sharing.